When managers communicate clearly and honestly, employees sense a growing trust that greatly enhances their motivation. Here are a few tips for facilitating conscious communications with your employees.
Communications best practices
- Listen to employees’ opinions and concerns.
- Establish mechanisms for dialogue between managers and employees.
- Enlist managers as key communicators.
- Link all messages to strategic objectives.
- Repeat messages consistently through many different channels.
- Be proactive rather than reactive.
- Don’t keep secrets, spring surprises, or make empty promises.
The ten commandments of communication
- Media savvy
Tips for communicating through change
- Keep messages simple and heartfelt.
- Do your homework: know what employees are thinking and feeling.
- Speak to anxieties, confusion, anger, and distrust.
- Rid channels of junk mail so that important messages get through.
- Use all available means and technologies for communications (intranet, webcasts, video, bulletin boards, breakroom posters, etc.).